Sunday, April 15, 2012

My Computer Is Dead

[Posting from my phone, so I hope this goes through]

Well, it finally happened.

I was planning my build for a new computer, considering that this one has been acting up for the past 6 months.

The old HP Pavilion It finally died today at about 2PM. Thermal paste, canned air, anti-static wrist strap, and screwdriver ready, I dove in to perform life saving surgery, but unfortunately nothing that I did was the answer.

The motherboard, arguably the heart of the computer (the CPU being the brain, right?) was failing, and so its on-board fan controller wouldn't spin up the system or CPU fans. The Fates decided that it was too late, though. The Laws of Thermodynamics did their job. (I've saved the processor and video card, though!).

I'm throwing the extra cash at next-day shipping so that I can get the new machine built and ready to go before the end of the week (I hope! Hard to do with classes Monday-Thursday, on top of working full time).

I've managed to save the CPU, VGA, and HDD set...so perhaps I'll go buy a cheap case, paint it pink, and grab some cheap components to give my daughter her first computer. She's 6 years old - it's high time she got into fixing computers and learning how everything works!

I'll let it connect to the internet, but will filter that IP so that it can only visit the PBS kids page ;-)


...Who would have thought that the voice-input system on a droid could have typed all this up for me? Pretty awesome!

1 comment:

  1. My brother had an HP Pavilion, those things last for quite some time his was from 2000 or 2001. The only thing I did not like about it was the placement of the RAM slots where you had to take out some drives. It is pretty amazing what android can accomplish good luck on this week's homework and the final project.

    ReplyDelete