Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Installing Visual Studio 2010

Just a quick tip, although I'm sure everyone has already installed VS2010 on their home computers:

If you're hurting for hard drive space, or just don't want the (notoriously long) install of Visual Studio 2010 to take forever, be sure to UNCHECK the options for languages that we won't be using: F#, J#, Visual Basic, JScript, etc.  Also be sure, when installing the SDK (Software Development Kit) and Documentation, that you reflect those choices here as well.

Rather than taking close to an hour to download the documentation and updates (especially if you have a slow internet connection), it should take no longer than 15 to 30 minutes at maximum (on an average cable connection).

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! Thanks for the tip! Though I already installed mine so it was kinda late for me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manny,

    Thanks. I should have posted it sooner, but it slipped my mind! I only thought about it while I was at work, waiting for VS2010 Ultimate to install, and was like "sheesh, this takes forever...". I cancelled the install, and then started it before I left for the day. I used an unattended installation script so that it didn't sit and wait for me to click "Next" during the install...so that it was ready to use when I came in the next morning.

    ReplyDelete